When I say happy hour … I mean, I hope I got a quick nap in. Naps make me happy.
For those of you out drinking your first (only) after hour cocktail … good for you! Unwind a bit. Socialize to your heart’s content. Don’t over do it.
The last time I went out on a Friday night was …. back when the places like Chili’s and Applebee’s and semi-fast food upgrades were still really popular. Maybe … circa … 2002??? Haven’t been out since but I do ask my adult daughter’s what’s trending and I do still have a friend or two who escapes into the world of night life.
Sadly, I also know a bundle of people (hovering at the boomer bar) who go out every night, to the same bars, and have been since we graduated high school in 1982. Pathetic.
I don’t know if that’s a true “happy hour” or just a place to meet your covert therapist as they talk you down.
I used to bartend ~ I’ve seen more than enough “happiology” mixing it up with a slow train to wrecksville.
But I digress.
I saw a meme today and honestly, it could be a cultural thing, so I’ll acknowledge that. But in this country, in this world and especially in the happiness of those who’ve survived darkness … it was totally backward.
I’ll keep this short ~ like happy hour is supposed to be. Quick. A stress reliever or, a gathering of friends before heading home.
I’m writing this after watching a day’s worth of training videos on trauma ~ my actual area of expertise. It’s not a fun thing to study but it is an important one.
So here it is ~ Happiness ~ from those who’ve actually been through some shit.
Remember ~ this is my opinion. I know others who don’t agree with me. That’s okay too.
**I’ll even leave the comment section open to anyone who agrees or disagrees with me, but I may not respond so to keep your opinion free of arguing**
- Happiness and sweetness have nothing to do with each other. You don’t have to be sweet when you are happy and you don’t have to be happy to be sweet.
- Trials can keep you strong, but damn it’s exhausting. Who was the first person who started selling us trauma as an endurance sport? Stop it. Know what else keeps us strong? Laughing ~ joy ~ love ~ an easy day free of sorrow or strife ~ savoring ~ being around people or pets who we connect with.
- Sorrow keeps you human. I know a bundle of people who are mourning right now. Sure, they are human. They are also wishing they could not feel anything. Let them be. I know an equal amount of humans who’ve never experienced sorrow. I’m happy for them and hope they can keep going without extreme suffering.
- Anywho who legitimately suffered a thing ~ never wishes suffering on anyone else. Sorry meme making Profiteers … but it’s true.
- Failure keeps you humble. Yes. This is true. No argument there.
- Courage keeps you going ~ also true … just remember to rest. And to the rest of the world (INCLUDING THE DMV) ~ give people a break.
Everyone is exhausted. People who are striving for happiness are also super tired.
Let’s all normalize ALL the feelings and give ourselves a break with those darker ones.
As a matter of fact ~ IMO ~ the laughter, joy, love, freedom to be ourselves ~ savoring and being socially connected are MORE powerful in the strength training part of life.
Now ~ get back to that Mojito (told ya I was a bartender). 😉
In peace and Friday night lights~
(c) @happinessnoir @inkhoneypub @K.ArenHenryMiller